Friday, May 13, 2011

Two Months from the Fest

With two months to go before the next G-FEST, anticipation here is beginning to build. Moving has certainly had an impact on our fan activity, as the infrequency of posts here suggests. But the information coming in is beginning to light the old fires of interest, starting with the movie lineup.

It has been announced that Thursday's first film will be the original Mothra, a movie that took me an absurdly long time to see. It is an exciting choice, and I am really looking forward to seeing it on the movie screen. Mothra is considered by many to be a classic of the genre; even so, I believe that it is somewhat underrated. Mothra is thought-provoking, humorous, and amazing to behold! Can't wait!

Following on Mothra's heels will be Gamera: Super Monster, which I have never seen. It is sort of universally panned for basically being a Gamera clip show, but I think G-FEST will be the perfect place to screen it. According to the G-FAN website, this will be its North American theater debut. I find nothing to dislike about any Gamera movie, really, so this should be fun.

Things get rolling Thursday evening with Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2. This is a movie that I've always wanted to like more than I do; I can't really put my finger on it...it just never has held my attention like some others. It'll get another chance to make a good impression soon.

The other film announced as of this writing is the classic Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Lots of ink has been spilled about the excellence of this one. It was a creative reboot of the Gamera franchise, and it proved that, at least in the 1990s, a straightforward kaiju flick was a viable entertainment option. "Guardian" deserves all the props it has received, and it will be introduced by its special effects director, Shinji Higuchi.

On a related note, new Cuyahoga Kaiju Club t-shirts will likely be available at G-FEST. The Tom Tvrdik design can be seen on Facebook--just search for the CKC page.

Time to count the days until G-FEST! It's a great feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment